Sunday, September 4, 2011

Museum Mile

My favorite museum in DC is the National Museum of American History - it's one of the only museums I ever bring visitors to.  You can see the Ruby Slippers, the inaugural dresses of past and present First Ladies, the flag that inspired the Star Spangled Banner and a wide array of constantly changing exhibits that are always interesting.  So when I read that there'd be a 9/11 exhibit September 3 through September 11, I penciled it into my Labor Day plans.  What I didn't read was that the exhibit is only open 11am to 3pm, daily.  Why?  I have no idea.   Why for only 8 days?  Again, no idea.  Needless to say, my lazy butt got to the museum after the exhibit had already closed.  I'm planning on going again either tomorrow or next Saturday (walking there of course via my 16th Street Route).

Despite missing the 9/11 tribute, I did catch some of the new exhibits and revisited the gowns and the ruby slippers that make the museum my favorite in the first place!




A few favorite dresses from the First Ladies exhibit

There was a totally new section open in the First Lady exhibit I'd never seen before! 
And Michelle Obama's Inauguration gown was on display.  Beautiful!

There's No Place Like Home

Muppet Muppet

A fun, new exhibit on Phyllis Diller (who I'd previously never heard of)...
one of the first female comediennes.

I guess you could say this will be part one of a two part post.  I loved visiting the museum today, but was definitely disappointed about missing the exhibit I had set out intending to see.  I'll be updating soon when I do get to go though.  Stay tuned! Woot!



No comments:

Post a Comment