Monday, September 26, 2011

I Like Books!

What an exciting weekend!  This past weekend was the 2011 National Book Festival.  Started by Laura Bush in 2001, It's really an amazing event.

If only I kept in touch with my 11th grade English teacher - she'd get a kick out of the fact that the past 2 years I've been to the book festival, the authors I went to see were the writers of books we read!!

At the 2010 NBF I went to see Isabel Allende!

In high school, I fell in love with Magic Realism because of Allende's The House of the Spirits.  Awesome book - terrible movie.  But isn't that too often the case?  Joe and I saw her speak last year as well.  She's a teenie tiny Latina with a big attitude and quite the feminist kick - I dug it.

This year was equally exciting...

DRUM ROLL PUH-LEEEEASE...

Toni Morrison, author of Beloved (among other things)

I went to see Morrison speak and was not let down at all.  She was interviewed by a book reviewer from the Washington Post and she had the most interesting things to share about learning to read, attending Howard University in a segregated Washington, D.C., and teaching.  I wish the interviewer had asked a little more about her inspiration, her characters, and writing.  But overall, Ms. Morrison was gracious, had a wonderful sense of humor and at 80 years old - she's still got it.

I didn't wait in line to get her autograph in my worn copy of Beloved because I was getting another author's signature as a surprise for Big Ed.  It's still a surprise...and he's reading...so let your imaginations run wild.

I like books.  I love books!  Can't wait for the book fest next year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment