Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I Think Your Clock Is Broken

I think I've mentioned before that I'm "training" for the Crescent City Classic which is April 7.  I started training in the middle of January with a program on NikePlus.com.  This is all old news to you loyal readers - but below is a groundbreaking update.

Over the past 10 weeks, I've been following my Nike program as closely as possible (running their assigned mileage on assigned days).  But let's face it, I've missed a few workouts because who has time to run 8 miles on a Tuesday?  The gist of it is - weather and schedule permitting - I've been trying my darndest to train to run farther, while still walking when I feel tired and such.  A girl can only do so much.

Fast forward to last Sunday: Amanda and I did the St. Patty's Day 8k here in DC - which is the sister of the Jingle All the Way 8k we did last December.  And I surprised even myself!  Because little did I know that I can not only run farther now - I can run faster!  Check it: In December I ran the 5 mile race in 57:12 - Nothing to brag about.  Well you know what IS something to brag about?

This:


You want to focus on the two columns all the way to the right.
Net Time - 49:47
Avg Mile - 10:01

Excuse me Race Organizers, is your clock broken?  Or am I just whipping myself into that good of shape?  I'm going with the latter - because it's right there in writing on the Race Results website.  

That's over 7 minutes off my 8K time in just 2 months of training.  Watch out world.  Yours truly is now running a 10 minute mile.  I don't think I've ever run a 10 minute mile - especially for a prolonged distance.  In elementary school I could run 1 mile in 7 minutes - but then I'd start to walk.  What can I say? Old habits die hard.

So, New Orleans better get ready for this speed demon.  Who knows - I may even be leading the pack with the people trying to qualify for the Olympics or whatever.  I just hope their clock isn't broken either - because if I happen to go back to running a 12 or 13 minute mile, I'm filing a complaint.  


*Stay tuned for an upcoming post about race goals for Classic Weekend.






No comments:

Post a Comment