Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The National Archives and Other News

Last Saturday, Kerri and I met up to visit the National Archives.  Both of us have lived in DC for awhile but have never been to see the nation's founding documents.

As far as hiking is concerned - I am going to say I hiked it there.  The Archives are on 7th and Constitution, but despite the fact that I have lived here almost 4 years, I am constantly scrambling Independence Ave. with Constitution Ave.  That being the case - I took the longest way possible to get there.  The good thing that resulted was I found this charming little garden that I've never seen before on the Mall, nestled between the Smithsonian Castle and Independence Ave.  It has a variety of different flower species and each is marked with a little label of the species and origin.  There was also this beautiful fountain:

Instead of water, the fountain has pieces of blue glass.
Mom and Dad - take note for your weed-filled fountain.  Maybe blue glass is the easy-to-maintain, aesthetically pleasing way to go.  Just saying.

Anyway, my perpetual confusion of the 2 biggest streets in DC also led me to cut through the Sculpture Garden.  I've been there countless times, but I noticed something else I'd never seen before...

Is this sculpture a new addition?  
I don't know - but it's my new favorite in the Garden.

The Archives are a tad underwhelming.  The only thing it really houses are the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.  Those are important of course, but be prepared to stand in line for longer than you are actually inside the museum.

The National Archives

Kerri.  O'Brien.  Get it?  You have to know her.

The O'Brien Gallery housed a Ben Franklin exhibit which was actually very good.  But alas, Kerri and I sped through it - we are kind of BF experts, having read his autobiography for the amazing Nick Marshall's American History class.  Instead of learning about the Frank, we reminisced about Marist and it's greatest, best looking professor: Nicky Marshall.  We love him, his classes and let's just say we'd read anything he told us to.  We'd read it all night long.  Just kidding.  That's insanely inappropriate.  But, I mean, we're kind of serious...when we're not kidding.  Anyway...

We're history geeks so we thoroughly enjoyed waiting 50 minutes outside on a beautiful day to spend 15 minutes observing the documents that founded this great country.  Well worth the trip, if you have the time.

In other news - today, I'm wearing a pair of jeans that I haven't fit into in 2 years.  My 2009 body is so close I can taste it.  Oh yeah.


No comments:

Post a Comment