Friday, January 6, 2012

Santa *Monica*, Baby

I almost forgot to mention that Miss Jessica and I went on a lovely run/walk down the Santa Monica Pier.  When she first mentioned, "Going for a run on the beach," I didn't have the heart to say "Um, it's really hard to run on sand..." but when we got there, Santa Monica does it right and has a paved walkway for bikers, runners, stroller-pushers and rollerbladers.  It was perfect - and it felt incredible to be at the beach in January.

I snapped a few photos, but none that really captured the adorable, eclectic vibe of Santa Monica.  The houses are really close together (and built vertically, like townhomes) but all of them are brightly painted with very modern architecture.  I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture.

I did snap these though.



Another great part about being in Santa Monica was that I recently read a book ("Bright Shiny Morning" by James Frey - of Oprah/Million Little Pieces fame) and one of the story lines is about a bum that lives on the Santa Monica beach.  All I can say is - it all makes sense now.  You'll have to read it yourself (which I highly suggest) to know what I'm talking about.

I also got a kick out of the beach's anti-litter slogan: "Toes in the sand, trash in the can."  Cute, I know.  Though the slogan was on every garbage bin, it was also in Spanish on the bins as well: "Pies en la arena, Basura en el bote."  Lo siento, los hispanicos - but I think it sounds catchier in English.













English v. Spanish

Then, Jessica and I saw a man dressed like Abe Lincoln riding a Segway down the pier.  I didn't snap a picture because frankly, I thought it would be rude.  I hate it when I'm dressed like Mary Todd and people insist on taking my picture.  I'm a person, people.  Just kidding, I love when people take pictures of me.  Anyway - I didn't know how old Abe felt about digital photography and he cruised by pretty fast, so I refrained.  You'll have to take my word for it though, it was weird.

I guess that's the second and final installment of my LA series.  I had a blast with my girls and can't wait to go back!  I will always have the memories and "Come to Cher" moments of being in Malibu, partying in 'The Valley' (though I wasn't held at gun point - sigh), and seeing an Alaia store (so that dress reference finally made sense).  I totally paused.  And don't even think I'd live below Sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment