Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tammany Trace

Last weekend I was in New Orleans and hiked with my cousin, Mary!

Being that a hike in Louisiana would not be part of my 60 Hikes book, I did some research online to find us a trail.  What I found was a really cool website and iphone app, that is a social network for hikers, called EveryTrail.  You can access trails and traveling tips online based on other travelers' reviews, download them to your account and then access them on your phone!  It is really very cool.

Using Every Trail, I saw a review for Tammany Trace which is across Lake Pontchartrain in Covington, LA.  The trail is about 27 miles and takes a whole day.  I had read on EveryTrail that the trail takes you right past the Abita Springs Brewery, and that it's only about 2 miles from the start of the bike trail.  My genius plan was to start at the beginning, walk to the brewery, have a little taste, and walk back to the  car, totaling a 4 mile hike.  Well, this is where EveryTrail gets fishy...The brewery wasn't on the trail.  It was no where near the trail, as the hike reviewer had suggested.  Abita Springs Brewery was actually on a very busy highway.  Mary, her dog Saphire, and I tried to rough it without a trail, but at the end of the day, concern for our safety told us to turn around.  We wound up going about a mile and a half into the bike trail/woodsy area and then turning around and heading back.  I didn't clock it, but I'd say we walked 2.5 to 3 miles total. 


Marsh.

Scary little house.

Although there wasn't a beer reward at the end, it was probably for the best.  I don't think drinking and working out are really the perfect pair anyway.  I was happy to have gotten a hike in on vacation...and Mary and I had plenty of drinks later!

No comments:

Post a Comment