Monday, September 17, 2012

Atlas

H Street NE (or The Atlas District) is kind of the next up and coming area in DC.  Rejuvenating (and what some call, gentrifying) the area has been in full swing for the last few years.  It's now got great pubs, restaurants, the Biergarten, tons of art and hipsters - and the only thing IMO from really stunting it's full potential is the fact that it's impossible to get to (and home from).  If I had a dollar for every time someone said, "Oh, they're building a trolley that goes out there..." I'd be a much wealthier woman, and safer having not waited 30 minutes at 2 AM looking for a cab.  This has been in the works since 2009. Said Streetcar is apparently opening up in 2013. But I'll believe that when I see it.  

Luckily, I have my trusty bicycle to get wherever my heart desires. So Saturday, I was pedaling to the H Street Festival - complete with food trucks, music, art exhibits and other local staples.  Some girlfriends of mine who live in the neighborhood met up with me as well.  They said this was the first year that the festival was so huge.  By 2:30 pm, it was wall to wall people and practically impossible to walk around.  They even lamented that it reeked of Eastern Market - that the festival had traditionally been just H Street fare and not just a new location for the Market one weekend.  I think that if I frequented Eastern Market as often as I'd like, I'd have had the same complaint.  It's nice to go somewhere that feels unique and not attend an event that has literally transplanted one section of DC into another.  H Street has enough unique-ities to offer that with everything extra, the festival wound up being overwhelming, similar to being in a crowded bar - except redeeming itself that it was outdoors on one of the most beautiful days DC has seen in months.

Here's a little recap:
I ate at two food trucks, the Lobster Truck and Dangerously Delicious Pies.  The Lobster Truck is a favorite of mine, great lobster on a yummy roll.  The only complaint is it's like, a 4 inch roll.  It's the measliest 15 dollar sandwich you've ever seen in your life.  But sometimes, I like to treat myself to things absurdly priced if only to remind myself that I'm part of the privileged elite who live in a metropolitan area (like, my rent comes to mind...).  I justified my pie craving by the fact that I ate a doll-sized sandwich and meandered over to the DC staple, Dangerously Delicious Pies.  I've been dying to try this place because people are always gabbing about it.  And, well...my chocolate peanut butter pie, I dare say was just dangerously dry.  7 dollars for a slice of dry chocolate pie was another chance for me to say, "Whatever, who else can say they ate pie out of a fancy truck? I am seriously lucky. And awesome."

I feel like I'm complaining now, when actually I had a great time, and would definitely recommend these neighborhood festivals to any resident or tourist.  But go early, because the crowds get crazy and bring a wad of cash to just throw at somewhat mediocre food.  I got there around 1:30 and it was much more pleasant than when my friends showed up around 3.  Pictures below!

H Street NE now has it's own historical 'Heritage Trail' DC walk.  
I think there's about 13 different historical trails through DC neighborhoods. My apartment building is actually along the U Street route.

Art.  
I didn't write anything here, lest my ideal city be tainted by 
'California' and 'More Vegans.' 
Shudder.

Art of every bar and restaurant sign from H

Toki Underground Book Exchange.
This bar/restaurant converted itself into a bookstore for the daylight hours.

Lobster Truck!

Banana Car. I don't know why this exists.

We're in the same order here as the Banana car. That was unintentional.




No comments:

Post a Comment